Sunday, March 25, 2012

Storage Ideas–Could use help

Hi,

Today I am asking for suggestions on what to do with my scrap (or card room as dubbed by my grandkids).

So, ignore the disarray and mess but here are my pictures. This is a collection that has taken me about 15 years to accumulate. The bad part is I’m still accumulating. As you will see this is my passion.

First is standing facing the door. I store most of my stamps on plexi-glass on the walls. I store my Spellbinders dies in CD cases and thinking that I should move my stamps to clear DVD cases, put up shelves on the wall and store them that way. For those that won’t fit I have in those white binders. I also have clear stamps in those binders.

001 (Small)

Here is another wall. As you can see the table tops here are where I cut my dies, paper and do my stamping.

002 (Small)

The tables and overhead bins are old office cubicle pieces. I store my stamping paper, distress inks, alcohol inks and stickles there. My Tim Holtz and memento inks below on the table top.003 (Small)

I have a small closet that is chocked full of embellishments, a lot of past trends are in there …. lol.

004 (Small)005 (Small)

On this wall I store my Stampin Up stamps, Cricut cartridges and wood mounted stamps. The open floor space usually houses a chair and a guest Smile.

006 (Small)

This window (and open floor section) is where I sit. I store my ribbon on ribbon rings (which I love). For curtain rods I use shower curtain rods. In this window I have two. My windows are huge and they have ledges so I had to fill up the space …. hahaha

007 (Small)

Here is the space with my crafting desk in here.

012 (Small)

This is the door of my room. Again, more rubber stamps on plexiglass and my husbands Purple Star Achievement Award from Ebay (he’s proud of that ….. hehehehe). I feel that if I can see my supplies I am more apt to use them which is why so much is visible.

008 (Small)

Of course since I used the front of the door I had to use the back of the door too. I hang my punches using cheap towel racks and then I have a shelf behind the door where my other punches are and my embossing powders.

009 (Small)

Next is my paper storage, more punches, fibers and rolls of lace. All of the drawers you see here are full of paper.

010 (Small)

The clear plastic drawers here hold my scraps, some fabric, clear acrylic blocks and more paper.

011 (Small)

So, my thoughts are that I need to get this more organized. I have been saying this for awhile and usually when I have a few extra bucks I buy more supplies instead of organizing but it is starting to drive me nuts so I have to do something.

First thought was a Workbox but I have far too much stuff for one of them so next thought was counter tops and drawer banks on the open walls. I would love to know what your thoughts are.

And …. to Cindy ….. most of this stuff came from you at Stamping Scrapping ……. thanks!!!!

8 comments:

StampingScrapping.com said...

Well I think you are VERY organized but I am the same way...I look at all my stuff and think I have to do something and I have a workbox LOL...

Steph you have been not only my amazing friend but my amazingly crazy customer who just keeps buying and buying and buying....like the energizer bunny LOL....so THANKS TO YOU for your friendship and business they BOTH mean the world to me!

Cheryl B said...

Stephanie, I am continually working on my own stamp room, cleaning out, re-aranging, and just today trying how to figure out how to fit another piece of furniture in here that is presently sitting in the hall. So I don't really feel qualified to give advice, more like I need it myself. One thing I noticed is you have large windows, and that is something I also have, a blessing for the light, but hard to figure out how to put stuff near it. It can fade things and also hate to obscure the view - my windows go from a foot or so from the ground all the way up. Right now I have one desk near the window, and some small wooden 3 drawer units that hold martha stewart punches under the windows. I would definitely put the stamps in CD cases or even envelopes. I have 10 pizza boxes full of Christmas stamps, and recently added some of my TAC (The Angel Co.) stamps, and just put them in envelopes with indexing on the front in the boxes along with all the wood mounted stamps already there. Most of my UM stamps I keep in CD cases.
I am contemplating unmounting at least some of my wood mounted stamps. I look forward to hearing more about what you do to organize the room.

Rene said...

Well, the first step is to purge. As you mentioned yesterday, I only live an hour or so away...I would be more than happy to take some of these treasures off your hands! Lol!!!!
I'm so jealous of your room! I have a little corner and my husband claims I have "goldfish syndrome" because I fill every last available nook and cranny. I think you know what I mean!
Rene ;P

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie, It looks like you have things pretty much under control, but I hear what you are saying, I am always rearranging my craft space, just recently moved it to a larger room, got tired of it being in there different rooms, and having to go an get what ever it was I needed......now my problem is I knew where it was before and now I am not sure where I put it? I do have most of my unmounted stamp sets in CD cases and then I have them in either cd holders or a bookcase. Also have all my Spellbinder that will fit in cd cases in them and then in the bookcase. I uses quite a few of the different cubes as my storage spaces, would get them when they were on sale or if I had a 50 off coupon for the store. Good luck with your plan to organize the room, it will happen in time!
Chris

Teri said...

Hi Stephanie! Oh my... your room looks like mine did, but I jus recently had it remodeled... something that had been promised about 12 years ago!!! I still have loads of cabinets and drawers, but I had to purge! Since the room had to be emptied, I finally decided it was time. I had so much stuff from years ago that I knew i would never use again, so I just got really ruthless and got rid of tons! I gave three huge boxes of older papers and supplies to Matthew's art teacher at the elementary school, had four trips to the Goodwill and probably 10 bags of trash!!! LOL!! Really, I just looked at the item and thought, do I really want to use this or have I used it? No, get rid of it!!!! And I haven't missed a thing that i got rid of! Once you purge, it's much easier to figure out where things will go! I am going to try unmounting a lot of my wood stamps and using the CD cases! Looking forward to what you do!!
Teri

Anonymous said...

I am in love with the little square box/drawer system that many of the mainstream craft stores. They stack, are all the same size, allow you versatility and you can set them up to actually be a storage system with a table top as a workstation. The other great part is that you can buy them slowly, as money allows. Good luck with the project.

Karen Petersen in Central California

Caity Sue said...

First off - PURGE PURGE PURGE! I have TheScarBox and you would be amazed at what the full size box holds! You mentioned past tends in your closet. Offload those on EBay...people still want the older stuff...sell it in batches...people like the idea of getting a lot of stuff. I do believe that if you can see it you will be more apt to use it. Use yor money from EBay to buy a label machine (I love my P-Touch by Brother) and get things off the surfaces and into drawers and then label the drawers. You will know what you have that way. theScrapBox will close up to only three feet wide and is 9 feet wide when opened. I can't open mine all the way but I can still access everything. I have mine to where it will open to six feet, but I have a cabinet next to it that keeps me from spreading it out...but it doesn't change the use of it at all. I would arrange that closet so you can keep your Cricut cartridges in there...you will also get a lot more room by taking them out of the boxes. I have over 100 cartridges and I store mine in Rubbermaid containers. It saves me SO much room. I have them in alphabetical order so I know right where to look for a specific cartridge. I do have my rubber stamps stored in the CD cases and I love it. I stamp the image on a blank piece of paper and put that inside the case so I can see it. It is filed away alphabetically (I probably have 10 CD cases just for floral...and I can get up to six stamps in one case...less the bigger the stamp, of course. I also stamped every image onto a Rolodex card and on the back of the card I wrote the info about the stamp. I also write on the card where it can be found in the drawers (under F for Floral, for example, or A for Animals, etc). Time consuming at first, but so worth it in the end. I have one of those large, old ugly Rolodexes I stole when my husband stopped using it...and I inked it up with Tim Holtz alcohol inks. It really turned out pretty! Anyway, there are some ideas. I wishi lived near you - I'd love to help!

Lim said...

WOW!!! Your room is AWESOME!!! Lots of stuff and treasures. :)) I looove the idea of the plexi-glass. I wish I could do that but I have more 400 Magnolias and I will need the whole room walls to storage my collection. But I will keep your idea in my head just in case. I storage part of my supplies on "Recollections® Modular Storage Cubes" from Michael's. They are always at 40% off and sometimes you can use a 50% off coupon. They hold a lot of supplies and look cute together. It's awesome that you have two big windows, lucky you. :)Can I go to your room and play?
Big Hugs,
LIM :)

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from February 26, 2011

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact hester.stephanie@gmail.com.

This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is sometimes compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

The owner(s) of this blog would like to disclose the following existing relationships. These are companies, organizations or individuals that may have a significant impact on the content of this blog.

Currently designing for:

Stamping Scrapping

Companies that have provided me with free product or images:
Stamping Scrapping
anaRy Designs
Spellbinders
Basic Grey
Scor-Pal

Digital Delights

La La Land Stamps

JustRite Stamps

Woodware Stamps

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin